21st May, 2021
The State Security Council,
The Permanent Secretary,
Cabinet and Special Services,
Government House Rayfield-Jos.
AN EARLY WARNING SIGNAL CONCERNING A RAPID BUILD-UP OF FULANI HERDERS IN AND AROUND KARA 1 AND 2 (BISICHI), RAHEI, DUNDUMI, RARWIN-DALO MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL FORON OF FORON AND HEIPANG DISTRICTS RESPECTIVELY, BARKIN LADI LGA.
The Berom Educational and Cultural Organization (BECO), Berom Women Development Association (BEWDA) and also Berom Youth Molders-Association (BYM) are all umbrella associations of the Berom at home and abroad charged with the responsibility of safe guarding and promoting the welfare and development of Berom land in Barkin Ladi, Jos North, Jos South, Riyom in Plateau Sate as well as Aboro in Sanga LGA of Kaduna State.
These organizations have noted with deep concern, the alarming influx and disturbing concentration of alien Fulani herders in and around Kara 1 and 2 (Bisichi), Rahei, Dundumi and Rarwin-Dalo Memorial High School Foron of Foron and Heipang Districts respectively. In fact, the organizations are on ground in these areas and have made consultative visits to relevant structures of leadership including security agents concerning this problem.
We believe that all security agencies in the State are aware that the indigenous communities of these areas have continued to suffer unwarranted killings, wanton destruction of crops on farmlands and gardens worth Millions of Naira, and armed banditry along the major roads in the area for a long time to the extent that some of the people consider the roads as death traps.
From the rapid build-up of Fulani herders and as these areas appear today, the natives are under siege or better still, living in a Fulani captured territory. Indeed, this is what BECO, BEWDA and BYM find totally unacceptable and therefore is reporting it as an obvious early warnings signal. To the best of our knowledge, this rapid build-up and concentration of Fulani herders is illegal, provocative, intimidating and threatening to the indigenous communities who are largely peasant farmers.
Already, that the said build-up and concentration of Fulani herders in the areas is posing a serious threat to the farming activities of the people with little or no prospect of any harvest at all especially, if the menace of crop destruction, fear, intimidation and Sundry hostilities are imputed against the farmers.
An early warning signal to the State Security Council and all other relevant authorities in this regard is what the organizations consider their primary responsibility to avoid an eminent eruption of violence and its attendant consequences.
BECO, BEWDA and BYM therefore are calling on all relevant authorities including the State Security Council, Commander of Operation Safe Haven, Commissioner of Police, Director State Security Services, Commandant Nigerian Civil Defense Corp, Coordinator Operation Rainbow, the Plateau State Council of Chiefs and Emirs and other stakeholders to promptly intervene by issuing an express order of vacation to the alien Fulani in order to save our people from another round of avoidable deaths and destructions. The Operation Safe Heaven and the Police Commissioner should kindly consider beefing up day and night security in the areas.
On the part of the indigenous communities, we pledge our usual cooperation with all the relevant security agencies to promote law and order, peace and security in the land.
Finally as a matter of urgency, the organizations are hereby demanding a quick response by the Government within 14 days from the date of the service of this early warning signal otherwise, we shall be compelled to take lawful causes of alternative action in the interest of our people and land.
Looking forward to your prompt and immediate action in this circumstance.
For your information and necessary action, please.
- His Majesty, the Gbong Gwom Jos and Chairman Plateau State Council of Chiefs and Emirs.
- The Distinguished Senator representing Plateau North Senatorial District, National Assembly Abuja.
- The Hon. Member representing Barkin Ladi/Riyon Federal Constituency, National Assembly Abuja.
- The Hon. Member representing Barkin Ladi, Plateau State House of Assembly.
- The Chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association, Plateau State.
- The President, Christian Lawyers Fellowship of Nigeria (CLASFON).
- The Commissioner of Police, Plateau State Police Command, Jos.
- The Commander, Operation Safe Haven, Plateau State.
- The Coordinator of Operation Rainbow, Plateau State.
- The Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Plateau State.
- The Chairman, Christian Lawyers Fellowship of Nigeria (CLASFON), Plateau State Branch
- The Transition Chairman of Barkin Ladi Local Government Area.
- The CEO/Coordinator, Emancipation Centre for Crisis Victims in Nigeria-ECCVN
- The Chairman of Berom Ministers’ Forum(BEMFO)
- The Divisional Police Officer of Barkin Ladi LGA.
- The Commander Sector 4, Operation Safe Haven, Riyom LGA.
- Officer in Charge of Bisichi Police Station.